Thursday, October 13, 2011

Full Hands

My aunt has said in regard to the number of children one has, "One is like none and two is like ten." If that math is correct, then three kids is actually like 15 (or would it be 20?). It sure feels like it sometimes. The frenetic pace that three kids has brought is a little crazy (sometimes it's a lot crazy and I actually think I'm losing my mind). Matt sat down one evening recently and said with exasperation and exhaustion, "Somebody always needs something!" Gee, really?

I get why three kids might be a springboard to agreeing to have four, five or more children (though we are done!). I think it's that tipping point between manageable and plain nutty--once you've crossed over into nutty, you might as well stay the course.

Having Cora really rocked my world and I had a hard time "starting over again" with another newborn (no sleep, no schedule, no life). Adding Alex has been much easier. Maybe I was more prepared for the upset that was going to occur? Or maybe it helped that Eva can do a lot of her personal care and is very helpful around the house? Either way, adding him to our family was not too much of a shock.

Even though I have some days that I just want to put all three of them in a box with a sign that says, "Free to Good Home" I would obviously never trade them for anything. Each of them is so different and so special and have already taught me so much in their short little lives. I met a woman recently at Eva's school and she told me, "You have your hands beautifully full." And I truly do.

2 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

What a great photo! Good post too. I see Alex is exploring his feminine side with the pink barrette. Love you guys!

Oma said...

I love this photo..I'm stealing it. Love to you all...xoxo Oma..hugs